Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: NEED SOME HELP ON SET CONSTRUCTION IDEAS?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have an idea for a short film, a parody of the cold war paranoia of the 1950's

    For this film, I would need to have a set built of the pilots station in a flying saucer. 1950s sci-fi Camp ....looking !!

    My forte is not in set construction...any ideas on how to go about how to get this type of set done cheaply? And what it might cost? The set would be used for medium to close up shots at the pilots station two walls. Possibly a miniature looking in to a small live action area?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's been done, and done well.
    Doctor Strangelove...

    Anyway, I can't say I have loads of set building experience, but this I will share with you.
    For my film Lost Tribes, there are several scenes that take place in a cave, with an altar in the middle of the room, pillars, and candles and cobwebs everywhere.

    So I spent like months and months of weekends, over $3,000 on materials, constructing this elaborate killer looking cave set, using casting plaster (just like the big boys do!), over chicken wire & gauze, nailed onto plywood, etc.
    1100 pounds of plaster!
    It looked great in real life.
    When I actually shot it, you could hardly tell.
    Moral of the story:
    Use cardboard and tin foil. Just make sure to paint everything really well.

    Matt Pacini

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matt Pacini:It's been done, and done well.Doctor Strangelove...Matt Pacini</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    No...I'm not trying to best a wonderful film like "Doctor Strangelove."

    Living in Michigan, I see lots of people who are my age or younger who are retired.

    Ever since the 1980's, junk bonds, hostel takeovers , the start of lay-off city and trickle-down ....most workers and doing worse. More and more companies are not offering retirement any more and are hopping for and creating attrition, to keep labor cost low. Looking back, it seems the 50's and 60's were a better time for the American work force.

    (This last comment has noting to do with the race problems that were so prevalent in the 50 and early 60's. I can see how people of color might think this comment is going in that direction...it is not!)

    This script idea is about the paranoia of employers if workers would be on better footing. No this is not a take off of "9 to 5."

    On the set construction....my church will
    let me use an old broken down TV switcher as a prop. A friend suggested that I use bubble rap painted silver...That sounds like a good idea if the paint will stick to it.

    Any other ideas??

  4. #4
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    I agree, paint everything really well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •